Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hodgepodge..

I'm not really sure what exactly this post is about, other than showing some pics of recent projects with the fam:

This is a before and after pic of our headboard.  My grandma bought us our bedroom furniture set when we got married and so I had to choose a "conservative" style since she was a little appalled at the furniture I really wanted to get.  Don't get me wrong, I liked it (8 years ago) but it needed a little refreshing..
I used an old curtain to recover the headboard from our house in D.C. since there wasn't a good spot in our new house for it.  It still needs some funky pillows to add color, some pulling and straightening, but it's an easy change if I get sick of the pattern..

Next up was our dresser.  After a lot of debate on color choice, I decided to do something with a little color.  I couldn't have taken the plunge without the help of my sis, Rachel, since she gives me a good kick in the butt to just "make a choice!"  

Before (honey oak and old school handles-- blah!):

After (zing!):

We changed out all the handles and painted it "Sea Song" and then finished it with a dark glaze. I don't think the pic gives it the full effect, but it sure does brighten our room!  Shout out to Rachel who probably ended up doing most of the work (hah!), to my Dad who acted as our overseer to make sure we didn't sand it too much, who let us use his garage and tools, and who helped put the finishing glazed touches that only he could master with his perfectionist eye, to TJ for measuring/drilling and installing the new handles and to Adam for making sure I stuck to my decision.  (That sounded like a speech for a major award, but for someone who isn't too handy with these kinds of things, it was quite the feat!)

6 comments:

Jill said...

What great projects! I bet you feel like you have some new furniture. I need to refinish our dining room table - yeah, you know the one (and those chairs). It sure needs it!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CPT K said...

wonderful projects. excellent outcome.

walkerbunch said...

Wow! Do you guys want to give my house a makeover? Your dresser and headboard look really cute. -I wish I was that creative.

Natalie said...

I still need you and Rachel's help with my headboard and dresser. I am so impressed with your handiwork! Maybe on one of my free Wednesdays, you guys could give me a hand!!

Lisa said...

Are you kidding me? Your furniture looks amazing. What a team you, Rach, and Danny make! Seriously, your bedrm set looks fabulous, modern, interesting, and classy. I can't wait to see it in person so I can capture the magic. Love you guys.